On September 30th, 2021, California’s moratorium on evictions, implemented in response to the COVID-19 crisis, will expire.
SF Fire Credit Union – along with the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation - wants to ensure that all our members, whether renters or landlords, know about California’s COVID-19 Rent Relief Program. Individuals impacted by COVID-19 can take advantage of this program to help cover expenses such as rent and utilities or use housing protections to prevent evictions.
Please visit the Rent Relief Program’s website for full details, such as which services are covered, who is eligible, and how to apply, but here are some highlights:
- Free financial assistance is available to landlords and renters who need help with unpaid or future rent or utilities.
- Landlords and renters are both encouraged to apply.
- Income-eligible applicants may qualify regardless of immigration status and will not be required to show proof of citizenship.
- Assistance from the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program does NOT count as earned income (for renters) and will NOT affect eligibility for any other state benefit assistance programs, such as CalFresh or CalWORKS.
- All applicant information is kept private and will not be shared.
- Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Priority assistance will be given to income eligible households most at-risk of eviction.
- Once an application has been successfully processed, both the landlord and renter will be notified of next steps.
For additional information, such as eligibility and application help, call the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Call Center at 833-430-2122.
If you need assistance in another language, or to get help to see if you’re eligible, help you fill out an application, or upload required paperwork, schedule an appointment with an organization near you by calling 833-687-0967.